Friday, June 13, 2014

DNA Day Recap - SCGS Jamboree 2014



Wow!  What a great start to SCGS Jamboree.  This is the second year for a DNA day.  I attended last year but didn’t understand very much.  Since then I did my DNA tests, both mitochondrial and autosomal.  I had my results.  I just didn’t know what to do with them.  Well, now at least I know where to start.

The session I watched with CeCe Moore explained DNA mapping to help discover your ancestors.  Now I know why I want to have my mother and sister tested. 

Diahan Southard gave case studies for Y-DNA, mtDNA and atDNA.; those were very interesting, although I need to find some more people connected to me before I can use some of the techniques.

Lunch was fun.  A friend from Mesa who flew in for the DNA day was at the table.  And, then across from me was a woman I was sure I knew.  But I just assumed it was from Jamboree sometime in the past.  Well, Ellen was from Maryland, and we had met originally at GRIP.  And we’re going to be in the same DNA class next month.  What fun!!

With the keynote session beginning at 8 am and the last speaker session ending at 6 p.m. with a one-hour open discussion period for an hour after that, it was a long, but stimulating day.

Thank you Southern California Genealogical Society, SCGS, and the International Society of Genetic Genealogy, ISOGG, for cohosting this event and providing such a wonderful educational opportunity.


1 comment: